- 1 Do chipmunks eat tomato plants?
- 2 How do you keep chipmunks out of potted tomato plants?
- 3 What smells do chipmunks hate?
- 4 What plants do chipmunks avoid?
- 5 Why do chipmunks dig in potted plants?
- 6 Do marigolds keep chipmunks away?
- 7 Why are there chipmunks eating my tomato plants?
- 8 Are there any Chipmunks that are good for plants?
- 9 Are there any plants that repel Chipmunks and voles?
- 10 Why are chipmunks eating my zucchini and cucumbers?
Do chipmunks eat tomato plants?
Chipmunks can destroy your tomato crop by eating the fruits right off the vine, and the tomatoes that they do not consume are often spoiled by the rodents’ excrement. Chipmunks in the garden may be cute at first sight, but when they start to eat your tomatoes, they are nothing but a pest.
How do you keep chipmunks out of potted tomato plants?
Try these tactics:
- Sprinkle a handful of used kitty litter around potted plants.
- Hang a mesh bag full of human hair or dog fur from the branches of each potted plant or from a stake stuck into the soil of each plant’s pot.
- Dust the leaves of each potted plant with dried cayenne pepper.
What smells do chipmunks hate?
What Smells Do Chipmunks Hate?
What plants do chipmunks avoid?
Plants That Chipmunks Don’t Eat (In My Garden)
- Bee balm (Monarda)
- Purple Coneflower (Echinacea) – My purple coneflowers are never touched, but I lose just one blossom each year from my red coneflower.
- Black Eyed Susan (Rudbeckia fulgida “Goldsturm”)
- Hyssop (Agastache)
- Milkweed (Asclepias)
Why do chipmunks dig in potted plants?
Chipmunks will dig in garden planters to eat bulbs and other tender new growth from plants. Chipmunks like to run from hiding spot to hiding spot so predators can’t get them. So this will make it riskier for the animals to try and get to the planter.
Do marigolds keep chipmunks away?
Marigolds (Tagetes spp.) don’t repel rodents, such as mice, voles, rats, squirrels, chipmunks and groundhogs.
Why are there chipmunks eating my tomato plants?
Chipmunks in the garden may be cute at first sight, but when they start to eat your tomatoes, they are nothing but a pest.
Are there any Chipmunks that are good for plants?
Chipmunks are appealing, unless they begin to destroy your plants. Chipmunks and rabbits might be cute, fluffy little critters, but when they decide to invade your garden they can also be the most devilish, persistent pests you can imagine.
Are there any plants that repel Chipmunks and voles?
Daffodils contain lycorine, a compound that repels animals, including chipmunks and voles. Note that this popular plant is toxic for pets, and its sap may cause skin irritation, which is why it is one of the best plants that keep moles away, as well as chipmunks. Set daffodil bulbs out in the fall, two to four weeks before the ground freezes.
Why are chipmunks eating my zucchini and cucumbers?
Rain and sun can get through, but chipmunks stop eating them. I put these on my zucchini and cucumbers too. Only rarely has a chipmunk eaten through the mesh. This is cheap, and very, very effective.